NorCal Challenge Overview > Mount Sizer
Mount Sizer may be little more than a highpoint on the Blue Ridge, but getting there is what makes this hike a challenge. You'll gain over 3,600 vertical feet in 15 miles, including a climb on one of the steepest trails in the Bay Area, affectionately called “The Shortcut.” Your legs will probably think of a better name for it. 😉
Did you know?
Henry Coe State Park is the largest in the California State Park system.
Mount Sizer Basics
- Summit elevation: 3,214′ (980 m)
- Vertical gain: 3,684′
- Hiking mileage: 15 miles
- Location: Henry W. Coe State Park
Hiking Mount Sizer
This loop hike gives you a grand tour that begins and ends at the park headquarters. There are several campgrounds along the route, so backpacking this loop is a viable option if you want to break it up over a couple of days. You'll climb and descend several times, which accounts for the over 3,600 feet of vertical you'll experience.
Here are detailed trail guides to give you the information you need about each route:
- Hiking Mount Sizer Loop in Henry Coe State Park – via our sister site SoCalHiker
- Henry Coe: Mount Sizer – via Calipidder
- Drive time from San Francisco: 1 hour, 37 minutes (81 miles)
- Drive time from Oakland: 1 hour, 37 minutes (74 miles)
- Drive time from San Jose: 55 minutes (34 miles)
- Get turn-by-turn directions on Google Maps
- There is a day use fee, payable at the Visitor Center (open weekends) or at the “Iron Ranger” at other times.
- This trail is hot and exposed. There may be water at Pahjuello Spring or Coyote Creek, but be prepared to filter before drinking.
Latest Mount Sizer Trip Reports
These hike logs will give you a feel for what the current conditions are, and the experience from other Six-Pack of Peaks challengers.
The Six-Pack of Peaks Challenge
This hike is part of the Northern California Six-Pack of Peaks Challenge, a series of challenging hikes up six, diverse and scenic Bay Area mountains. Sign-up to take the challenge today!
Got a link, tip or favorite aprés-hike restaurant we should add to this page? Let us know!